My Everyday Morning Ritual: Lemon & Warm Water
This is something I do EVERY morning, even while I am away traveling! I have been doing it for a few years now and I hope after reading this; you will introduce it into your morning ritual too. Firstly, let me briefly chat about morning rituals and what they are. Many people’s morning rituals consist of things like meditating, yoga, going for a morning walk or a specific cleansing routine etc. They do whatever they can to support themselves mentally, emotionally and physically to ensure a good start to the day. And a simple mug of lemon & warm water is one of mine!
Benefits of drinking lemon and warm water in the morning:
- It kick starts and rehydrates your digestive system in the morning to get it moving
- Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects and supports the body’s immune system
- Lemon is antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral
- Having warm water and lemon early in the morning helps flush out toxins
- It balances and maintains pH levels (although lemon is acidic, it becomes alkaline once metabolised in the body)
- It is also a good source of citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium
- Lemon contains pectin fiber which is very beneficial for colon health
What you need:
- 1 Lemon (preferably un-waxed & organic)
- Warm water (I add roughly 1/4 cup boiling water to 3/4 cup room temperature water)
- Sharp knife and cutting board
- Your favourite mug!
What you do:
- You can either slice the lemon and place a few slices in the warm water or squeeze the juice from half of the lemon.
- It is important to note that you should brush your teeth before you have your lemon & warm water in the morning. Brushing your teeth after may affect your teeth’s enamel.
- While drinking, try and take this moment to center yourself. This is your chance to create a positive start to the day.
And yes, I am that girl who travels with lemons! I always have a lemon, small knife and small cutting board with me so I can have it as soon as I rise in the morning. That way I do not have to depend on a hotel, café or restaurant for my morning lemon & warm water fix.
Give this simple morning ritual a try for 21 days and see how you feel. I am sure you will wonder how you ever went so long without it!